Sunday, September 7, 2008

School Year, Here We Come...

We have (slowly) started up our school year again and are looking forward to sharing our antics with friends and family. We have enjoyed a very busy summer and are ready for our pre-school/kindergarten year.

For our 5 year old son we are using My Father's World for kindergarten... and still LOVING it. We're currently on the "Leaf" unit, which tied in great with a Labor Day weekend camping trip to Silent Valley in Idyllwild.

For our 3 year old daughter we are using My Father's World and Heart of Dakota's, Little Hands to Heaven for preschool. This takes us 30 minutes or less a day, but it's a great time of Bible stories, devotions, and fun with both the kids.

I have what we need for school organized and ready to go and I am praying that God gives me and my husband wisdom and courage this year to train our children in His ways. I hope you join us for some fun and please leave comments if you have them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amy,
I am awe-struck that you have such courage to home school Zach & Emma. I was a much more complacent mom...preschool, public school, etc. You sure aren't taking the "easy route" and I am very proud of you! Also, I see what beautiful Godly parents you and Dan have become. I commend you both.

I type my comment through tears after having read your entire blog...especially touching was the part about "Papa Sam". Thank you for that beautiful remembrance of my Dad. It is exactly what I remember as being Dad's joy and his truth - LOVING HIS FAMILY TO THE EXTREME! I am so glad you had those beautiful moments with him. I too marveled at Mom lying at the foot of the bed, holding his hand and just loving him hours on end, checking to see if he was breathing during the night, and being 100% present with him each waking moment.

One touching moment I will never forget: I started to enter their room during the night, to see if things were okay. I stopped when I heard voices. It was dark. I don't think they saw me, but I heard Mom ask Dad if he was scared to die. He said "no". She asked "are you sure?" He said "yes". Then Mom said "I wish you could take me with you." (I stood there silently, feeling like a thief - eavesdropping on a lovely private moment, then I backed out on tip toes and went back to bed with tears streaming.)

What an amazing example Mom and Dad have been - of TRUE LOVE and of WHAT A FAITH BASED MARRIAGE LOOKS LIKE.

I will always remember the distinctively different gifts each of my sisters, my brother and I brought to the caregiving for Dad in his last days. It was surely orchestrated by The Master Himself. I will always cherish that time with my siblings and my parents.

Blessings on you and your family, Amy.

In His grip!
Missing my Dad very much,
Love, Aunt Mary Lu

Amy said...

Thank you so much for your beautiful comments. You can't know what it means to me. It's so funny you say I have courage for home schooling. That's the last way I'd look at it. I'm so scared. I'm searching out as many Christian women as I can, that have gone before me, so I have places for answers. I really feel this is Gods calling for our family, and I am confident that He will equip us with what we need to see it through. I keep telling myself that we will do it one year at a time, just so I don't get too overwhelmed. I would appreciate your prayers for me to have patience and be persistent in this calling. I need prayers for patience just in my day to day "mommy" life, but to be a teacher is going to take extra prayers.

Also your comment about you, Kitty, Mike, and my mom's gifts of caregiving being orchestrated by the Master Himself was so awesome and so true!! You have a beautiful way with your words, yet another gift given to you by our Lord.