Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Standard Process Day 20

Okay, so much for blogging our cleanse. I did take notes throughout the past few weeks, but I have not been sharing them here. Blogging kind of takes back seat to taking care of my family, schooling, preparing food, and just the general upkeep of life.

Saying all that, things have gone very well. I thought the beginning of the cleanse would have been much harder. I think my body was asking for it. I really didn't crave foods, I didn't have the headaches I had heard about, and my emotions seemed to just get better and better as the days went by. Yes, I was tired. What homeschooling mama of three isn't. But things where just easier to deal with. I didn't seem to have the highs and lows thorough the day.

Probably the most difficult thing on the cleanse was making sure there was foods to eat ready to go. I did great getting up with Danny and getting him out the door to work the first week. After that I slacked off and just tried to have food in the refrigerator for him to grab and take. I found it very simple to make a shake for breakfast every morning. My kids eat a ton in the morning, and by the time they are full and ready for the day it's nice to be able to just whip up a shake for myself that satisfies me and is good for me too. We balanced out the fruit in the shakes with lots of carrot juice and frozen spinach. Neither are detectable in the shakes. I also would have a lentil dish in the refrigerator at all times to simply heat up and eat. I made a thick lentil stew with a ton of vegetables. I also made a curried lentil dish that was a nice change. I made huge amounts of these so they would last several days. We could pull out a half a cup or so and have something warm and satisfying right away.

Something else that helped was flavor. Since we were limited on what we could add to food I used lots of fresh herbs: thyme, oregano, basil, along with tons of garlic and good old sea salt and cracked pepper.

As far as weight results, Dan has lost about 21 pounds. He lost pretty steady the whole three weeks. I have lost about 12 pounds. I seemed to quit loosing last week after trying to eat even less. I started thinking that my body may have been going into some sort of starvation mode and holding onto my weight. Once I started eating more again, the weight started coming back off.

We did have a cheat day. We made it through Dan's birthday with no problem, but going to Disneyland pushed us over the top. We had planned a fancy sit down meal with our cousins that was price fixed, meaning no matter what we'd ordered it would cost the same. Danny and I broke down and both had tri tip and mashed potatoes. I also had two glasses of wine and he had a long island ice tea. See, when we cheat, we cheat! Fortunately it was easy to get right back on the wagon.

So tomorrow is the last day of the official cleanse. I am hoping we stick to some of these new ways of eating. I will be adding back in meats and cheeses as well as carbs, but I think we can make wiser choices and continue portion control. I would like to continue the shakes for breakfast and maybe lunch too. It would be nice if I could continue to lose some more weight.

All in all, this was a great experience and I will do it again in the future.

No comments: