Thursday, September 9, 2010

Science Science Science

I have to admit that last year science got put on the back (Bunsen) burner, sort of speak. I could give several excuses, but none of them are very good, so I will spare you. I plan to do better this year.

With 4/5ths of the first week of second grade under our belt (ah-hem) we have done pretty well, and even have an experiment under our belts.

Emma's learning about leaves this week, so on our walk at the park last night we collected leaves and today made a book of leaf rubbings. My favorite part was getting to use our new book, Handbook of Nature Study by Anna Comstock to identify the leaves. I can tell we are going to get a lot of use out of this huge amazing book.

Zach is learning the basics of what science is and what scientists do. We did an experiment today to see what would happen if you drop an egg in regular water, or in salt water. I won't ruin it for you. Either try it yourself, or some take a look at his new science notebook where he will be recording his experiments this year :-). I will tell you though, that Aunt Dawny says she floats rather well at that island she is on ;-).
Published with Blogger-droid v1.5.8

No comments: