Friday, August 13, 2010

Pocketful of Pinecones

I recently became brave enough to start reading a "real" book. Reading anything besides picture books and books from our curriculum these days is pure leisure, and leisure just does not happen often these days. If it does, it usually consists of sleep. Anyway, I thought since this books chapters are only two or three pages, at best, I would give it a go. I am so glad I did!

Pocketful of Pinecones, written by Karen Andreola, is a wonderful book that tell about nature study in a very fun way. She writes this book as a fictional diary of sorts that goes through a whole year, season by season. The diary is written by a mother in 1935 who decides to homeschool her two children. She writes about her days and her learning how to teach her children. From the back of the book, "Woven into the story are more than 100 examples of what to look for on a naturewalk, Latin names for the living things observed by the characters, study questions, nature poems and verses... , a supplement containing selected quotations by Miss Charlotte Mason, an annotated list of books with a nature theme - both fiction and non-fiction." It sounds like a lot to take in, but it has been such a wonderful encouraging read for me, not only as a teacher, but as a mother and a wife.

I am nearing the end of this book, which is a milestone with three kids underfoot. I have enjoyed it so much that I would be sad that I am nearing the end, except that when I ordered it from Christianbooks.com, it had such wonderful reviews that I also order the sequel, "Blackberry Inn". So I look forward to another wonderful book to come. And just imagine... two complete books under my belt! Amazing ;-).
Published with Blogger-droid v1.5.1

No comments: